Thursday, January 8, 2009

It's A Small World After All...

It never ceases to amaze me at just how small this world is. Two things have happened in the past couple of days.
1. I was listening to KLOVE Christian radio the other day driving on I-10 to have lunch with my friend Michelle (who you will hear about in #2). So I am listening to the radio and they air one of those stories about local ministers and they preface the story by saying a church in Lubbock, TX so of course I perk up the next words blew me away...Pastor Chris Galanos (one of Jordan's roommates when we met). Chris's church was recently broken into by 5 guys who stole around 10,000 dollars worth of equipment ...Chris met with the guys and told them he was not pressing charges or asking anything of them, but that he was giving them forgiveness just as Christ forgave them. After visiting with them he gave them Bibles and the story goes that 2 of the guys showed up in church the following Sunday. This was so encouraging to hear and it meant even more knowing the person behind the story.

2. My friend Michelle and her husband Lance have become good friends of ours in the 6 months that we have been living here. Lance grew up in Arlington, TX. Michelle and Lance crossed our paths when we visited the same church one of our first Sundays here in BR and ever since Michelle and I meet regularly to hang out and we are currently visiting churches together (that's a whole different story for another day). Well we have just recently discovered that Lance was an usher in our good friends wedding. You may remember Nathan and Stephanie our friends from church in Fort Worth. We met them in the newlywed class we attended at Travis Avenue and then Nathan ended up teaching the Sunday School class that we promoted to the two years we lived there. How crazy is it that out of all the people in Baton Rouge we met the one couple that knew our friends from Fort Worth.

I love it when I am reminded of how small the world really is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that story on K-love also....it was pretty cool...being from Lubbock and knowing Chris and Emily....

Nathan said...

I'm just glad that there are still people out there willing to be friends with Lance. Way to go, Downings. Don't believe anything he tells you.